26/08/2018, 11:00 am
Sark Shags
25 - 14
Alderney Ridunians RFC
HT: 20 - 0
Referee: Kev Moore

Match Report

Ridunians disembarked from the special Little Ferry Company sailing to Sark, at lunch time on Saturday, for the long awaited triangular rugby 10’s tournament

Having erected tents, kindly loaned by Zoe Sowden, a very social Saturday afternoon barbeque ensued and after a hearty Sunday breakfast, provided by match sponsors The Farm Shop and Waitrose, the team arrived at the ground. It was then discovered that there were only two teams and a 25 minutes each way 10 man game was arranged between the Shags and the Ridunians. Shortly before kick-off however, it was realised that there was no referee and Kev Moore was drafted in to control the game.
Undaunted, Ridunians, now with no substitute, kicked off against a much larger Sark 10 who had the luxury of 8 subs. The first 5 minutes were frenetic with Shags having the greater share of possession and Alderney tackling their hearts out. Eventually, the inevitable happened with Sark scoring an unconverted try in the fifth minute. The pattern of the game continued with Sark adding further unconverted tries in the thirteenth, nineteenth and twenty second minutes to open up a twenty points to nil lead. In the final minute of the half, Sark looked certain to add to their score until Joe Burland (sponsored by Nicola Burland) appeared from the other side of the field to bring off an incredible try saving tackle. The half thus ended with score 20-0.

During an extended half time interval Tina Walden worked overtime to treat half of the team who had suffered a variety of injuries. Two guest players were acquired, but Alderney, now with the ability to interchange players for the next 25 minutes, still faced a huge task as Shags prepared to restart with several pairs of fresh legs on the field.

After four minutes, Sark scored again and the small band of travelling Ridunians supporters feared the worst. However, inspired by captain Craig Cox and Jordan Clay (sponsored by Cantina No6), Alderney tore into Sark, repeatedly turning over the ball. Several times Jordan Clay and Joe Burland broke through only to be stopped by an ever increasingly desperate Sark defence. And then the moment the Alderney crowd had been waiting for! Nine minutes had elapsed when Joe Burland broke through down the left wing. With only the Sark captain to beat, Joe sidestepped and, to the roar of the crowd, touched down under the posts. Jordan Clay added the extras and it was a different game. Alderney kept up the pressure and it was Jordan Clay who was the next to score, out pacing the scrambling Sark defence in their 22. He added the goal and Sark rapidly sent on more fresh players to stem the onslaught. The game was now even and ebbed and flowed but neither side were able to improve their tally and a very enjoyable match ended with Sark 25: Ridunians 14.


1 2
Craig Cox (c)